Oracle PL/SQL Programming, Fifth Edition by Steven Feuerstein & Bill Pribyl (O’Reilly) is the definitive reference on PL/SQL and is considered throughout the database community to be the best Oracle programming book available. Like its predecessors, this fifth edition of Oracle PL/SQL Programming covers language fundamentals, advanced coding techniques, and best practices for using Oracle’s powerful procedural language. Thoroughly updated for Oracle Database 11g Release 2, this edition reveals new PL/SQL features and provides extensive code samples, ranging from simple examples to complex and complete applications, in the book and on the companion website.
This indispensable reference for both novices and experienced Oracle programmers will help you:
- Get PL/SQL programs up and running quickly, with clear instructions for executing, tracing, testing, debugging, and managing PL/SQL code
- Optimize PL/SQL performance with the aid of a brand-new chapter in the fifth edition
- Explore datatypes, conditional and sequential control statements, loops, exception handling, security features, globalization and localization issues, and the PL/SQL architecture
- Understand and use new Oracle Database 11g features, including the edition-based redefinition capability, the function result cache, the new CONTINUE statement, fine-grained dependency tracking, sequences in PL/SQL expressions, supertype invocation from subtypes, and enhancements to native compilation, triggers, and dynamic SQL
- Use new Oracle Database 11g tools and techniques such as PL/Scope, the PL/SQL hierarchical profiler, and the SecureFiles technology for large objects
- Build modular PL/SQL applications using procedures, functions, triggers, and packages
Red Gate Software is pleased to offer you the chance to download the e-version of this book free of charge for a limited period. The Oracle PL/SQL Programming eBook is available now to download from the Red Gate website in .pdf, .mobi and .epub versions.
Tools to help free up your time to do more PL/SQL programming
The Deployment Suite for Oracle is a set of highly-focussed tools that enable you to:
- Automatically create error-free synchronization scripts to deploy changes
between your environments.
- Export scripts to run through PL/SQL Developer, SQL Developer or SQL*Plus
- Have a clear view of schema and data differences between environments through a proven GUI
- Automatically generate schema documentation
- Troubleshoot and fix errors caused by differences in Oracle database schemas and data